Made in San Diego
Our region is home to a vibrant manufacturing cluster that spans many industries, including the defense, aerospace, shipbuilding and repair, medical devices, craft brewing, and sports and active lifestyle industries.
San Diego regional manufacturers: Get EDC’s help identifying and connecting to relief and resources. Click here to get in touch.
With a highly-skilled workforce, robust training programs, and close proximity to Mexico, San Diego is a hub for advanced manufacturing companies, with nearly 3,150 manufacturing companies currently supporting more than 110,000 jobs.
Read on for helpful resources, key data, and more on manufacturing in San Diego.
San Diego Regional EDC is a member of California’s Manufacturing Network (CMN) and a partner of CMTC.
California’s Manufacturing Network (CMN), formed and led by CMTC, provides services exclusively to Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturers (SMMs) throughout California. The Network is a collaboration of more than 25 manufacturing focused partners that deliver a broad range of technical assistance services to SMMs in both urban and rural areas. The Network’s mission is to generate a positive financial impact for manufacturers and the California economy.
- California Manufacturers and Technology Association (CMTA) | cmta.net
- Center for Applied Competitive Technologies | makingitincalifornia.com
- California Manufacturing Technology Consulting (CMTC) | cmtc.com
Get free or low-cost resources for San Diego manufacturers
The following resources are available through CMTC to manufacturers in California.
- California Manufacturers Accelerator Program
For companies with fewer than 50 employees, this program enables access to tools and resources, advisors, and networks to improve profitability and productivity.
- Small Business Technical Assistance Expansion Program
For California manufacturers with fewer than 100 employees, this program will help offset general project fees and provide 24 hours of no charge assistance.
First come, first served.
- Employment Training Panel
For California manufacturers with more than 10 employees, wages at more than $15/hour, and full time of more than 30 hours to offset projects costs associated with training employees.
- CASCADE Cybersecurity
For aerospace and defense companies, as well as critical suppliers, this program can help companies ensure DFARS compliance readiness.
- CMTC General Assistance
Made in CA profile, consultations with experts, network connections, and resource referrals (financing, tax incentives, distribution, workforce, etc.)
- Made in CA
Make a free company profile page in Made in CA’s manufacturing business online directory to increase awareness of your products, services, and your company news
- Supplier Scouting Database
For manufacturers, CMTC Supplier Scouting Service experts will work with you to understand your needs and match you with companies with a high potential to meet those needs.
- California Manufacturers Accelerator Plus® (CMA+)
For small and medium-sized manufacturers, get a fresh review of your business, with technical expertise and leadership to identify and solve problems. Each year CMTC’s advisors assist hundreds of manufacturers in identifying and implementing solutions to remove barriers to growth.
Learn how you can take advantage of these programs:
- CA Advanced Supply Chain Analysis and Diversification Effort
To help companies partially offset costs of projects associated with cybersecurity.
- National Emergency Assistance Program:
Provides manufacturers with a businesses assessment and plan of action at no charge.
- Customized Solutions for Growth
To help manufacturers stimulate profitable growth at no charge.
- Safely Making California Marketplace
To connect manufacturers to employers who have the need to purchase non-medical grade Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Shifting Gears Podcast – CMTC
Join CMTC each quarter to learn about the latest news, trends, technology, and expert insights to help manufacturers thrive in today’s economy.
- Thomas – Buy America Act Program
Thomas will add manufacturers of each MEPs community to its digital database, qualification, and categorization system for free. In addition, Thomas will add a Buy America Act (BAA), Berry Amendment, or Made in the USA designation to qualified suppliers to make them more easily identifiable for buyers seeking American manufacturers.
Events and webinars for San Diego manufacturers:
- September 9 | How to effectively manage your freight & logistics
- September 14 | How to approach your enterprise resource planning (ERP) technology selection
- September 16 | CA relief grant program-round 9: What it is & how to apply
- September 22 | Quality 503: Improving your root cause and corrective action process
- September 23 | COVID-19 essentials: Standards, HR, & health education
- September 29 | Reshoring/Nearshoring and how technology/automation helps manufacturers compete
Contact Kaylee Hudson to add your San Diego manufacturing event to this list.