Finding a Location
The staff at San Diego Regional EDC is here to help you with your site selection needs.
San Diego has a wide selection of building and land inventory to accommodate a diversity of businesses. EDC works with businesses, consultants, and brokers to aggregate a list of applicable sites, provide introductions to vetted service providers, and/or respond to detailed Requests for Proposals (RFPS) for campuses or locations.
Incentives to Grow Your Business
Cal Competes Tax Credit
Income tax credit made available to business that want to locate to and grow in California. Businesses will commit to certain employment or project investment requirements, we refer to as “milestones,” as part of the credit agreements. The annual budget for this program is $200 million with designated application periods. If interested in applying, please contact EDC for complimentary assitance.
R+D Tax Credit
Manufacturers and certain research and developers may qualify for a partial exemption of sales and use tax on certain manufacturing and research and development equipment purchases and leases.
Other Local Credits
With over 18 cities in the region, many local municipalities have incentives to help companies grow and thrive. These are only applicable in the city your business is located: some examples include:
- City of San Diego Business Incentive Program – The program is geared towards companies who are looking to create or retain employment jobs in Low to Moderate Income (LMI) areas or make a capital investment in the City.
- City of Chula Vista – Chulva Vista offers expediated permitting, deferral of certain development impact fees in specific areas,and more
Other CA State Credits
- New Employment Credit – Available to companies in designated geographic areas of the state who have a net increase in employment and hire qualified employees.
- CoolCalifornia – The CoolCalifornia Funding Wizard can help you find grants related to energy efficiency upgrades and rebates, with a particular emphasis on sustainable and environmentally-friendly business practices.
- Industrial Development Bond Financing – Tax-exempt securities of up to $10 million for the acquisition, construction, rehabilitation and equipping of manufacturing and processing facilities for private companies. Deadline: Applications are accepted on a continuous basis.
Looking to Start a Business
Depending on the type of business, there are many resources availble to help you grow and thrive. EDC’s role is facilating connections and providing a list of resources. Here are some places to start to get your idea off the ground.
Small Business Development Center
Small Business Development Center (SBDC) offer access to confidential, no-cost professional business consulting services and low-cost workshops designed to empower small business growth to achieve job creation, retention and capital investment. SDBC offers support to entrepreneurs and small businesses in eight locations in Carlsbad (North San Diego), National City (South San Diego), University of San Diego (SBDC The Brink), Kearny Mesa (Asian Business Association SBDC), El Cajon (East County SBDC), City Heights/El Cajon (IRC SBDC), UTC (CONNECT SBDC), and El Centro (Imperial Valley).
City Economic Development Departments
If you know the city within San Diego that you’re looking to launch in, contact the local economic development department. Most have abundant resources to help you get set up.
Startup San Diego
From mentorship to educational workshops, Startup San Diego provides a number of resources to help you launch your idea.