San Diego Regional EDC is a 20+ person team, dedicated to mobilizing business, government, and civic leaders around an inclusive economic development strategy to connect data to decision making, maximize regional prosperity, enhance global competitiveness and position San Diego effectively for investment and talent.
EDC values diversity of thought, experience, and perspectives, and encourages individuals with non-traditional backgrounds to apply for the below position(s). We are a passionate group of professionals committed to supporting inclusive economic growth in San Diego, and we welcome applicants who are eager to learn and join us in this important work. We support regional companies and create programs and initiatives that grow our economy.
- Excellent benefits – Health, Vision, Dental, 401k match, and Life Insurance
- A collaborative work environment where ideas are encouraged. You’ll have the opportunity to make a difference and contribute from day one!
- Subsidized parking or transit pass
- The opportunity to lead initiatives and network, present and collaborate with key business contacts – in San Diego and beyond
Currently EDC is operating a 100 percent virtual work environment. When health officials deem it safe, we look forward to returning to our awesome office space in San Diego’s vibrant downtown.
Please no unsolicited calls or emails regarding employment or internship opportunities.
Application open until filled
The Economic Development Manager (Life Sciences) leads a strategic economic development framework to enable business attraction, retention, and expansion in the life sciences industry—one of the region’s most competitive clusters. This position is full-time and reports to the Director, Economic Development.
Specific Duties And Responsibilities
- Work with and through private and public sector partners to streamline company expansion and accommodate job growth in life sciences cluster
- Steward a consistent pipeline of complex company expansion and retention projects from start through completion
- Identify bottlenecks and barriers to business growth in the life sciences industry and recommend creative solutions to address those challenges
- Provide timely and actionable insight to public sector economic development, planning, and development agencies on facility expansions, and other growth needs of life sciences companies and the industry at large
- Partner with multiple jurisdictions to establish a “one stop shop” for expedited permitting, expansion services, and related support for priority projects. Explore colocation or “office hours” options for service delivery
- Create toolkit of incentives, services, and support specific to life sciences companies, and target outreach to at least 50 companies annually to triage problems and assist with growth goals
- Manage relationships with senior industry executives and relevant stakeholders, and serve as EDC’s life sciences domain expert internally and externally
- Covene senior task force of industry leaders, trade associations, and life sciences brokers to provide regular industry insight and align around strategic opportunities
- Coordinate with internal and external partners on messaging and data related to industry opportunity and growth
- Execute collaborative outreach in external markets for vetted opportunities (conferences/expansions/trade missions)
- College/University degree (or equivalent experience) and minimum of five years experience in business, real estate, planning, life sciences facilities or related field
- Experience managing large, multi-person projects and teams. Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization and with external partners and vendors
- Knowledge of San Diego County/California economy and related industry sectors. Experience in life sciences or adjacent field preferred
- Familiarity with planning, permitting, and related economic development project work
- Strong presentation skills and excellent oral and written communication
- Self-directed and motivated team player with the ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure
- Demonstrated competencies including: client-focused, adaptable, flexible, and unquestionable integrity
- Creative and collaborative solution-finder who can get things done with limited resources
This is a full-time, salaried position with excellent benefits. EDC offers a collaborative working environment in San Diego’s vibrant downtown.
Learn more in the Position Announcement here.