Advancing San Diego: Small Businesses & Startups
Through Advancing San Diego, we will provide up to 100 San Diego-based companies with paid interns in the fields of software, engineering, and business, among others.
Ninety-eight percent of companies in San Diego have less than 100 employees, and those companies employ 60 percent of our local workforce. Often times, smaller companies face barriers (like time and resources) in connecting with and hiring local talent.
How it works
- YOU create an internship job description – you know what’s best at your company!
- Advancing San Diego vets the students and the programs they come from. We’ve worked to create a list of Preferred Providers – vetted talent providers that companies have deemed effective at helping prepare students for entry level jobs.
- You receive access to a pool of qualified students and recent grads who are interested in opportunities at your company – We provide ‘matchmaking’ services to help you find the best fit. Interns will go through your hiring process.
- Advancing San Diego pays your intern and provides support services to help your intern succeed! – No really, we do. In addition to taking care of the wages, select interns may be eligible for a $500 stipend to help with equipment, services, or services that directly contributes to their success in the workplace!
Small companies who meet the eligibility criteria are selected as part of a competitive application process. All interns will come from education programs designated as Preferred Providers.
Upcoming internship program rounds:
- Business interns: Applications accepted now until December 18, 2020. Apply here!
- Manufacturing interns: Applications to host manufacturing interns starting summer 2021 will open in spring 2021.
- Healthcare interns: Applications to host healthcare interns starting fall 2021 will open in summer 2021.
- Life sciences interns: Applications to host life sciences interns starting spring 2022 will open in winter 2021.