Every week, ‘Good News of the Week’ features a curation of positive headlines from San Diego, delivered straight to your inbox. A blend of aggregated stories from San Diego’s most trusted news sources and original EDC-created content, GNOTW provides a comprehensive recap of the region’s best stories from the past week.
For the week of April 16, 2021, here’s what we’re reading:
- San Diego unicorn TuSimple snags $8.5B valuation at IPO
- Local startup leaders launch community investing group
- Carlsbad’s JLab Audio acquired in $370M deal
- Meet EDC’s Board: Zach Hammond
- Innovate78: North County’s rising cleantech industry
- Recon-RF expands San Diego R&D operations; sets sights on continued growth
- SDG&E, San Diego Foundation launch grant for Black women entrepreneurs
- Thermo Fisher Scientific gets FDA Emergency Use Authorization for automated COVID-19 test kit
- USD School of Business breaks ground on Knauss Center for Business Education
- Petco to make half of all products sustainable by end of 2025
…and here are the events we’re (virtually) attending:
- April 20 – San Diego Regional EDC
Right Recovery Town Hall: Resilience through employee ownership
- April 21–22 – San Diego French American of Chamber of Commerce
International Business Conference
- April 23 – EDC, Public Relations Society of America SD/IC
Lunch and Learn: San Diego’s Creative Economy
- April 28 – Rady School of Management, Institute for Supply Chain Excellence and Innovation
Accelerate: North American Value Supply Chain in Mexico
Apply to host manufacturing interns—and we’ll pay for them!
EDC, San Diego Workforce Partnership, and other partners are excited to announce Advancing San Diego’s Preferred Providers of Manufacturing talent, recognized by industry for training the next generation of machinists and engineering technicians.
- MiraCosta College – Technology Career Institute
- Palomar College
- San Diego City College
- Workshops for Warriors
Companies with <200 employees: We are providing 12 San Diego businesses with paid manufacturing interns from these Preferred Providers—at no charge to you.
San Diego’s Data Bites: April 2021
Each month, EDC’s Research Bureau analyzes the California Employment Development Department’s employment data for the prior month. This month’s bites covers March 2021, including the 6.9 percent unemployment rate and what’s next for San Diego’s recovery.
- Find more COVID-19 business information and resources at EDC’s COVID-19 page
- Find North County information at Innovate78’s COVID-19 page