Every week, ‘Good News of the Week’ features a curation of positive headlines from San Diego, delivered straight to your inbox. A blend of aggregated stories from San Diego’s most trusted news sources and original EDC-created content, GNOTW provides a comprehensive recap of the region’s best stories from the past week.
For the week of March 26, 2021, here’s what we’re reading:
- Thermo Fisher launches device to detect airborne COVID-19
- TuSimple files to go public
- Video game startup HiDef Inc. pulls in $7.5M in VC funding
- San Diego Business Journal names EDC’s Lauree Sahba as Business Nonprofit CFO of the Year, among other EDC investors
- Viasat, U.S. Navy renew Internet contract, debut TV Services
- Suffolk commits to increasing opportunities for women in construction and STEM
- UC San Diego establishes local National Academy of Inventors chapter to build robust innovation ecosystem
- San Diego Cyber Center of Excellence says cybersecurity jobs need filling
- San Diego-Tijuana District Council releases regional real estate trends report
…and here are the events we’re (virtually) attending:
- Monday deadline – Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz)
Apply: California Competes Tax Credit
- March 30 – National Security Innovation Network
Register: Beat the Blaze Hackathon
- March 30 – San Diego Regional Airport Authority
Runway to Recovery
- April 1 – World Trade Center San Diego
Go Global 2025: San Diego’s Trade & Investment Strategy
- April 20 – San Diego Regional EDC
Right Recovery Town Hall: Resilience through employee ownership
San Diego’s Changing Business Landscape: The next normal is here
EDC is excited to kick-off our Changing Business Landscape Series, which will be published bi-monthly in the San Diego Business Journal and on our blog. In this edition, learn how:
- Everything is different, yet the future is bright.
- Remote working is no longer a perk or competitive advantage—it’s the standard.
- Long commutes have been replaced by a blurring of work-life boundaries.
Plus: Share your insight in EDC’s ongoing Business Landscape survey.
San Diego’s Data Bites: March 2021
EDC is excited to unveil a fresh take on our long-standing Economic Pulse. The same intel, with a new ‘taste’: Welcome to San Diego’s Data Bites!
This month’s bites covers February 2021, including the month’s unemployment rate of 7.2 percent.
Meet our Board: Sunny Cooke, Ph.D. and Laura Garrett
To celebrate Women’s History Month, we’re introducing you to the women behind EDC.
Meet Laura Garrett: SVP of Human Resources at TaylorMade Golf, and a Midwesterner turned San Diegan who reminds us to never stop dreaming of what we might be when we grow up.
Meet Sunny Cooke, Ph.D: President and superintendent of Mira Costa College, EDC Board member, and an inspiration for women and immigrants in STEM.
- Find more COVID-19 business information and resources at EDC’s COVID-19 page
- Find North County information at Innovate78’s COVID-19 page