Each month, World Trade Center San Diego delivers the latest global news and updates straight to your inbox.
In Q4 2023, here’s what you need to know about San Diego’s global trade, investment, and engagement. ➝ Get WTCSD’s Global Brief each quarter.
Mayor Todd Gloria leads trade mission to South Korea
To strengthen business relationships and grow quality jobs in San Diego, Mayor Todd Gloria, SANDAG and County Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Nora Vargas, and WTCSD led a binational trade mission to South Korea. With the U.S. government incentivizing the reshoring of supply chains and our regions’ complementary strengths in the life sciences, semiconductor, clean energy, and biotechnology sectors, South Korea is a critical global market and natural partner for San Diego companies expanding globally.
➝ Learn Why Korea
Reflections on our trade mission by Dr. Nikia Clarke
WTCSD’s 30 trade mission delegates showcased major regional development projects for foreign investors, toured Qualcomm and Illumina’s Korea offices, and explored opportunities to better connect our regions through travel and government partnerships while in South Korea. Most importantly, WTCSD’s Executive Director Dr. Nikia Clarke writes, “our binational region—with San Diego’s innovation ecosystem, Imperial Valley’s clean energy leadership, and Tijuana’s advanced manufacturing prowess—demonstrated its ability to compete like never before.”
➝Read the Recap
WTCSD in 2023: National recognition, export growth, and global connections
WTCSD cultivates a pipeline of export-ready firms, maximizes foreign direct investment opportunities, and enhances San Diego’s global identity. From winning the President’s “E” Award for growing regional exports through Export SBDC and MetroConnect to leading a Mayoral trade mission to South Korea, see how we supported 32 company projects with and through our partners in 2023.
➝Read our Annual Report
San Diego News
- British Airways increases daily nonstop flights from San Diego to London
- UC San Diego ranks #7 globally in highly-cited researchers
- Illumina expands access to pathogen sequencing tool in low- and middle-income countries
- San Diego sees record $14.3B in tourism spending
- San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce leads 2023 Binational Delegation to Mexico City
- Japanese government selects San Diego for Beyond Japan startup program
- California pilots in-state tuition rates for community college students crossing the border from Mexico
- December 14 – Global Competitiveness Council by the WTCSD – 2023 Q4
- December 11 – How to Do Business with the Port of San Diego
- December 13 – San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce International Tribute Awards
- January 29–Febuary 6 – 2024 SelectUSA Brazil Roadshow
- May 13–15 – Trade Winds in Istanbul by U.S. Commercial Service
Grow your company in san diego ↓
World Trade Center San Diego works directly with companies—free of charge—to help them expand internationally and grow in San Diego.
- Export Specialty Center: For small companies interested in learning about exporting and international growth.
- MetroConnect: For small and medium-sized companies ready to export and grow internationally.
You might also like:
- WTCSD honored with Presidential Export Award
- Access Trax turns $10K into Canada, Australia export growth with MetroConnect
- Eight San Diego companies win $35K in grants via Export SBDC