Through our Advancing San Diego initiative, EDC provides San Diego-based businesses with paid interns in high-demand fields. This program targets companies with 100 employees or less, which comprise 98 percent of all businesses in San Diego, employ nearly two thirds of San Diegans, and account for 70 percent of job growth. A key issue for these companies has been a lack of time and resources to recruit the skilled talent necessary to continue their growth. Through the COVID-19 pandemic, these challenges were especially salient.
Now, we’re excited to announce 14 more companies who have been selected to host Manufacturing interns in engineering technician and machinist roles this Summer. Interns are sourced from programs designated as Preferred Providers of Manufacturing Talent, with internships running from July to November 2021.
Please join us in welcoming our next cohort of Advancing San Diego intern hosts:
- American Lithium Energy is a company developing and manufacturing high performance, next generation lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries.
- Artience Lighting is an architectural lighting design and manufacturing company that brings beauty to spaces through tunable white technology as well as UVC disinfection technology.
- Bitchin’ Sauce is a family-owned and operated company that manufactures an almond-based dip.
- Diakont Advanced Technologies is a leader in providing specialized services and solutions for the energy industry, primarily in the oil and natural gas, and nuclear industries.
- Discflo Corporation Inc. is a global pump manufacturer that sells industrial pumps into the “hard to pump market.”
- Drewfab is a family-owned machine shop that services several industries including the power generation, marine, automotive, and racing. The company does engineering, machining, fabrication, and 3D printing.
- Fuse Integration is a veteran-owned business that has earned recognition as an emerging leader in airborne, maritime, and ground networking. The company was founded with the noble cause of bringing the benefits of commercial human-centered design processes to first responder and military systems engineering.
- Left Coast Engineering offers full-service, electronic product design resources and specializes in custom electronic product design and rapid prototyping in the R&D space.
- Microtek is a bioengineering company that specializes in design, development, and fabrication of miniaturized devices, which are often medical in nature.
- Smartville Inc. is a rapid-growing renewable energy company that specializes in electric vehicle battery repurposing and lifecycle management.
- SurfDurt manufactures a natural, reef-safe sunscreen.
- Survival Systems International is a company in the safety lifeboat industry and holds 30 years of experience as a supplier of ballistic foam, fuel cell foam, and aerospace assemblies to the aviation community.
- The Broken Token designs and manufactures storage and organization solutions, component upgrades and accessories for the tabletop board gaming industry.
- Watershed Idea Foundry, Inc. is an additive manufacturing company specializing in the 3D printing of titanium medical devices
Hosting interns is an investment in the next generation of talent in San Diego. Through the Advancing San Diego internship program, local students gain valuable work experience while supporting our local small businesses. Students are paid $22 an hour and receive access to $500 in flexible funds to support their success in the workplace.
Introducing the Advancing San Diego Host Company Map:
All small companies that have hosted interns through Advancing San Diego can be found on this interactive map!
Adaptive Launch Solutions
ALD Technical Solutions LLC
American Lithium Energy
Bitchin’ Sauce, LLC
Boys & Girls Club of San Marcos
Chicano Federation of San Diego County
Clear Blue Sea
Diakont Advanced Technologies
Discflo Corporation Inc.
Educational Vision Technologies
Eton Bioscience, Inc
EUCO – Electric Unicycle Collective
Family Proud, Inc.
Fantasy Sports Co.
Fenix Space, Inc.
Impact Resources, Inc
Left Coast Engineering
Memjet US Services, Inc.
Meri Consulting Services
Misadventure & Co.
Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine
San Diego Loyal Soccer Club
Survival Systems International
The Broken Token
The Commons XR
Tourmaline Wireless, LLC
Traits AI, Inc.
Watershed Idea Foundry, Inc.
ZUM Radio, Inc
For our next round of internships, we will be recruiting small healthcare companies interested in hosting students from medical assistant programs. Applications to host interns in these fields will open in Fall 2021.
If your company is interested in hosting students in the next round, sign up here receive program announcements.