Last edited November 2022
As of May 2022, there were 75,630 unique jobs posted in San Diego County, but only 42,100 unemployed San Diegans. Couple this talent shortage with unrealistic demands around compensation, benefits, and remote work, it’s fair to say we are living the most competitive battle for talent yet.
To meet employer demand, our region needs to double the number of post-secondary degree, certificate, or program completions per year. In particular, investing in Black and Hispanic youth would turn San Diego’s talent shortage into a surplus. More on Inclusive Growth here.
As part of our ongoing talent development efforts, EDC has compiled an ongoing hub of programs and initiatives below to help you fill your high-demand San Diego roles. Sign up for the talent newsletter for ongoing opportunities to participate in the development of our talent pipeline.
- Build relationships with Advancing San Diego’s Preferred Providers of talent at Preferred Provider Meet and Greet: IT & Cybersecurity, hosted by EDC, San Diego Workforce Partnership, and CCOE. Join us Wednesday November 9, 4:00 – 6:00 pm, at UC Park and Market.
→ Register here.
- Connect with entry-level cybersecurity or IT talent at EDC and Tech San Diego’s Tech Career Night: Industry Interactive. Join us Tuesday November 15, 4:00 – 6:00 pm, at San Diego State University.
→ Reach out to Andrea Crisantes at email@example.com
- Promote your open mid-level roles in San Diego: Life. Changing.‘s monthly job newsletter, The Lead, sent to over 3K STEM and business talent in San Diego and other competitor metros.
→ Submit your role to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
- Connect with entry-level software, engineering, business, and other San Diego talent: Use Advancing San Diego’s Preferred Provider map to identify industry-recognized training programs.
→ Sign up for email updates to learn about upcoming opportunities to connect.
- Connect with San Diego university students via Tech San Diego’s Jacobs Talent Initiative.
→ Learn more and get connected.
SELL SAN DIEGO
- Make the case for a relocation with San Diego: Life. Changing.‘s free recruiting toolkit with data, photos, videos, and more to help you convince candidates.
→ Use the free toolkit.
- Share the San Diego: Life. Changing. website with non-local candidates to showcase life in the region.
→ Share the website.
UPSKILL EXISTING TALENT
- Connect with San Diego Workforce Partnership (SDWP) to learn about worker training services. As workflows shift and skill requirements change, SDWP helps employers retain their existing workforce to meet their evolving needs.
→ Learn about SDWP’s layoff aversion help and no-cost worker training.
- Upskill your manufacturing employees with California Manufacturing Technology Consulting via the California Employment Training Panel to help employers keep the skills of their existing workforce adapting as fast as the industry does.
→ Explore the program.
BUILD YOUR PIPELINE
- Consider opening positions to people who are skilled through alternative routes and leverage the full breadth of services available through San Diego’s local community colleges.
- Connect with San Diego’s K-12 population early to communicate the breadth of career opportunities and build a more inclusive economy. Engage students at the K-12 level via: